U.S. delays Canadian tariffs three days as Trump claims trade deal
By John White
The United States postponed planned 50 per cent tariffs on a range of Canadian goods for three days as U.S. President Donald Trump said the two countries had reached a trade deal.
Prime Minister Mark Carney did not confirm that an agreement had been reached, saying substantial progress had been made but important work was unfinished.
A presidential proclamation issued Tuesday, Aug. 18 moved the tariffs’ effective date from 12:01 a.m. eastern time on Aug. 19 to the same time on Aug. 22.

Trump wrote in a Truth Social post that Canada and the United States “have a DEAL!” He said the agreement was subject to the finalization of documents.
Carney offered a more cautious assessment in a statement issued Aug. 18.
“Substantial progress has been made, although there is important work still to be done,” Carney said.
Carney said the United States had agreed to postpone the tariff until the end of Aug. 21 while negotiations proceeded. His statement did not describe or confirm the specific commitments outlined by Washington.
According to the White House proclamation, senior U.S. executive branch officials reported that Canada had expressed a commitment to address measures cited in three July 20 proclamations covering alcoholic beverages, dairy products and motor vehicles.
No agreement or timeline had been posted on the PMO, White House or U.S. Trade Representative websites as of 11:50 p.m. ET on Aug. 18.
Trump also suggested the Keystone XL pipeline could be revived but did not say whether the project was part of the trade negotiations. The White House tariff proclamation did not mention the pipeline.
Trump granted Bridger Pipeline Expansion LLC a presidential permit in April for a separate cross-border pipeline proposal. Reuters reported that the project, proposed by South Bow and Bridger Pipeline, would use some pipe originally built for Keystone XL but follow a different route through the United States.
TC Energy said it terminated the original Keystone XL project in June 2021 after then-U.S. president Joe Biden revoked its presidential permit.

John White John is the Director of News for Vista Radio. He has more than 30 years of experience in journalism, with an early eye cast to digital news innovations. He attends the Online News Association conference every year to learn about the cutting edge opportunities for his team to adopt and adapt.
